November 26, 2013

#dylanlexneck


If I have inspired at least one person to pick out an outfit that they were able to look forward to wearing and felt like a million bucks wearing it, then I am ultimately more successful than I could have ever imagined being.

 In middle school I wore pretty much what everyone else wore. American Eagle, Abercrombie, Hollister and Uggs, I think that sums it up for the most part. When I decided to stray away from those brands and bought my first Volcom sweatshirt from PacSun and eventually a couple of other skater-esque t-shirts I was called a “poser” by a couple of girls and even some of my guy "friends".  To this day I question whether or not they knew the meaning of a “poser” or if me wearing a pair of Etnies even classified me as anything for that matter. Fast forward another year or two and I was back in my Abercrombie  sweatshirts and Air Force Ones. I’m don't know if I was still discovering my identity or just wearing what everyone else was to avoid any more name calling. When I started high school, I’m not sure what my style was other than tragic, a mix between what everyone else was wearing and what I wanted to wear (skulls, Volcom, black ,etc), but I can say that I didn’t completely feel like myself. I always felt the need to express myself creatively and wearing the same Abercrombie shirt as everyone else wasn't allowing me to do so. During that time I began to notice an upperclassmen in the hallways, her style was different and very unique and she wasn’t afraid to be herself. After months of seeing her around, not carning what anyone else thought of how she looked & what she was wearing.. I was inspired to stop holding back from being myself. I had a couple of bumps along the way of course, like jet black hair over bleach blonde hair and maybe some over sized high-top converse, but in the end I found out who I was by the time I left high school. Throughout college there were plenty of times that I was hesitant to show up somewhere in an outfit that was a bit different from not only what I would wear but especially everyone else, and times I even stopped myself from wearing those things in order to save myself from the “what on earth are you wearing” stares. Over time I began to care less and less and stopped thinking about what anyone else had to say about it.  It takes awhile to do so and of course I started out small by taking trips to the mall or smaller stores, then dinners, then parties or any other even life had to throw at me. Here I am, almost five years later and I can honestly say that I know exactly who I am and I love myself, who I am, what I wear, who I’m surrounded with and what I stand for. I have never felt more comfortable being who I am, I have accepted any flaw I have and embraced it for what it may or my not be.. Life is entirely too short to be unhappy with yourself or to be afraid to wear something because of what you think someone else might think about you. So, the point of me posting my outfits and where I find them is to not only show you what I wear & where I get it, but to hopefully inspire at least one person to step out of their comfort zone like someone did for me years ago.

This is who I really am along with interests I've had for either my entire life or a good portion of it. I have always loved clothes, jewelry, shoes and bags along with skulls and any & all things black. I know we do not have all of the same interests but that's what makes us all unique and if you're able to incorporate pieces of what I love into your own style without losing your own identity, then you have completely understood the point of my blog. I strongly encourage any of you reading to think about what you love about yourself, what inspires you and makes you feel like you're invincible when you walk down the street and remind yourself of those things every single day.
 
 Back to why you're all here, the outfit details. Sometime during the early spring I came across an instagram account full of gorgeous necklaces and jewelry that I was dying to get my hands on. I clicked the website info & it said that the jewelry would be released soon, so naturally I signed up to be be notified when they would be and waited anxiously for 7+ months. During that time she posted tons of pictures of the necklaces which made me more and more anxious for their release. Recently, Dylanlex opened up her website and my stomach dropped when I found out they were all $600+, I hid under my desk sobbing for most of the day. After getting myself back together and realizing I might have to wait a bit for a real one, I was determined to make my own in the mean time. I set off to the craft store and bought tons of chains, spikes, jewels, etc. I sat in my room for days putting it together, taking it apart and putting it back together again, it had to be one of the most tedious projects I've ever taken on. Finally, after countless hours of frustration, I'm almost completely finished (still working on the minor details). What I love most about Dylanlex is of course her necklaces and style, but that she made a hashtag where you can use to show her your own creation (#dylanlexneck).  I plan on making a couple more now that I've gotten the hang of it, I even got a cute little necklace form to display it on because I'm obsessed with it. 


IMG_3728 IMG_3732 IMG_3702 IMG_3731 IMG_3716 IMG_3745 IMG_3736 IMG_3717 IMG_3730 IMG_3726

Untitled
 In the corner is the necklace form I was talking about earlier, you can find tons of them on Amazon. They're a super cute way to decorate and display some of your favorite pieces. My boyfriend is also on the opposite side photo-bombing my picture.

OUTFIT DETAILS
Top: black basic long sleeve, Windsor
Shorts: originally Charlotte Russe, similar LoveCulture  GoJane  PacSun
Jacket: similar PacSun PacSun2
Booties: stud heel ankle boot, Wetseal
Clutch: similar Forever21


If you're looking for any extra inspration, I have a tumblr full of all the things that inspire me, hopefully they work for you, too! There's also an "ask" button where you can ask me anything you want (of course you can be anonymous) and I will be sure to answer any and everything. There's also a comment box down below if you prefer.

TUMBLR
ask me anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design