June 17, 2014

Hair Products I'm Obsessed With

IMG_5765

Even before starting this blog I received tons of questions about how I do my hair and which products I've used. It wasn't until this past year or so that I have been able to define a steady line up of products, I guess you can say I had a really long trial run with hair care. Most of the products below I've been using for years and years unless stated otherwise and even though some are a bit newer in my regimen, I wouldn't recommend them to you if I didn't use and love them myself.

 If you know me personally you know that I've never received any professional hair training so once again anything I share with you is based off of personal experience, trial & error or advice from my trusted hair dresser. These are just my reviews on products that I use and love so I wanted to share them  with you pretty ladies and even gentlemen in one post so you don't have to search around my platforms for answers. Yes, I did say gentlemen.. you'd be surprised how many guys use a spin brush pro for their comb overs.

For a little background on my hair: I've been coloring it since I was about thirteen years old. I've had just about every hair color possible, I've gotten it professionally colored and used box colors so I have definitely put my hair under a lot of stress for the past ten years. I wore clip in extensions for 4 years and have recently transferred to keratin bonds. All of the products listed below I've used on my hair extensions and have gotten positive results. Currently my hair is a black to burgundy / deep red ombre and all of these products still work!


NIOXIN
IMG_5753
Nioxin has been my secret weapon against all of the stress I've put my hair through since I was 13. The point of of this duo is to really clean your scalp of any build up: hair color, product, etc so that new hair can come through. On top of that it strengthens the hair you already have resulting in less breakage. At first, I saw little to no results and I was still finding tons of hair in the drain, after about two months I started to see less and less every day. Years later and many, many different hair colors later I still have minimal breakage. I did stop using these two about a year ago when my hair was red because it was causing the color to come out faster and I noticed my hair was starting to break again. Moral of the story: this shampoo & conditioner has probably saved me from losing all of my hair.
15 & 14 @ ulta


KENRA: DAILY PROVISION
IMG_5728
It took me a long time to come across a leave in conditioner that wasn't too heavy for my hair & still worked on my extensions, didn't leave a huge amount of build up and didn't make my hair look oily. Kenra's leave in conditioner is extremely light weight but definitely gets the job done. I've been using it on all of my hair extensions as well as my natural hair for years and have yet to come across any leave in conditioner that does a better job.
$23 @ amazon


KENRA BLOW DRY SPRAY
IMG_5736
This little bottle makes me feel as if I just went to the salon for a blow out. Until recently I could not figure out for the life of me how my hair dresser gets my hair so silky and smooth when she does it for me until she introduced me to her secret weapon. It will make your hair look greasy if you spray toward the root or spray too much so definitely don't over do it, of course I learned the hard way after about ten sprays. Just because it smells great.. doesn't mean you need a lot of it.
$22 @ ulta


CONAIR INFINITI PRO SPIN BRUSH
IMG_5702
I'm not half bad at executing a decent blow out, especially for someone with no sort of professional hair training. But when it comes to blowing out my own hair.. absolutely tragic. Trying to hold a brush in one hand while spinning it while holding a blow dryer in the other hand only results in a tangled mess and me banging myself in the head with a giant hot tool. To elimate my struggles, I invested in this little gem. I've had it for almost a year and my life has changed for the better ever since. Once you get the hang of using it properly (there are a few videos that will show you on YouTube) you'll probably wonder how you got through life without it. I will say that in the beginning I did tangle my hair a few times, but if you take your time and use small sections you'll be just fine.
$60 @ target


CHI SILK INFUSION
IMG_5718
I absolutely swear by this little bottle of hair greatness! At this point I'm not even 100% sure as to what its actual purpose is because I've been using it for well over five years now for just about any sort of situation possible. I use it when my hair is damp so it dries smooth, I use it when my hair is dry to make it shiny and soft, I use it after I curl my hair to make the curls "fluffier", I use it in the summer to keep my hair from getting too frizzy, I use it in the winter to prevent static hair etc, etc. When it says that you only need a dime size amount, you really only need a dime size amount, otherwise you'll over do it and look a little oily. I've used this product on every single hair color I've had from pink to purple to black to blonde to red and everything in between and it has extended the life of all of my clip in extensions as well as my bonded extensions. Whatever you do, do not apply near the root.. otherwise this $20 bottle of oily goodness will be your absolute best friend.
$25 @ ulta


ROLLERS
IMG_5749
When I have extra time to get ready or if I have somewhere important to go, I always set my hair with rollers. I always saw women using them on TV for a blow out and never understood the point but it makes the world of a difference. I usually start from the top, use my spin brush a small section then roll it up in one of these bad boys. Most of the time I use these larger pink rollers to create a lot of volume, but for a little more curl at the bottoms I'll throw in some smaller sizes to mix it up. While they set I usually do my makeup, by the time I'm done and I take them out... a magical & voluminous blow out.
9 @ target



CHI IRON GUARD
IMG_5744
I guess this doesn't need much of an explanation, if you're using hot tools I strongly suggest using some sort of protection against them. I've tried plenty of other brands and always came back to my good ol' pal Chi because it is the only iron guard that doesn't leave any residue.
15 @ ulta

SOLIA FLAT IRON
IMG_5696
I have had this specific flat iron since I first started to straighten my hair. I have had to replace it quite a few times since then but I never expected to have the same flat iron for 10+ years. It is a bit on the pricey side but it is definitely worth every penny. It does have heat adjustments which I feel is absolutely necessary because I usually keep mine on the lowest possible.
$102 @ folica


CONAIR CURLING IRON
IMG_5687
I've strayed away from this curling iron several times and always went back to it. I've tried bigger barrels, smaller barrels, expensive brand names, etc, and none of them lived up to Conair. Luckily, this one's less than $30 and even though the price is generally low, I've only had to replace it once. If I'm looking for a loose wave, I'll curl my entire head with medium sections and brush it out when I'm done. If I'm looking for a tighter more voluminous curl (the curls I have in most of my pictures), I roll up a section and when I take it out- I let it set in my hand while it cools off. After I do my whole head I'll use my Paul Mitchell Soft Spray and lightly comb through the curls.
$18 @ target



PAUL MITCHELL SOFT SPRAY
IMG_5740
I only like a stronger hair spray for days that I really need my hair to hold, but for days that I'm just running errands I don't like to add layers of product on my hair if it's not necessary. I've been using this soft spray for quite a long time and it holds my curls or blow out just enough for them to stay put for a short amount of time without leaving any build up.
$12 @ drugstore.com


NOT YOUR MOTHER'S: BEACH BABE
IMG_5720
This spray is perfect for those days you don't feel like using any hot tools. Since I have extensions I always sleep in a loose french braid to keep them from tangling, when I wake up I spray this through and it really helps my waves to look more natural and "beachy". It's a great way to make your bed head look intentional!
$6 @ ulta


L'OREAL BOOST IT
IMG_5712
I've only had this product for a few weeks but it works so well that I had to share it with you. I've used it just about every day since I purchased it and I already need a replacement. After styling my hair I spray a bit at the roots for some volume and a little on my curls if I really need them to keep their shape throughout the day. It works even better than a regular hair spray for back combing as well!
$5 @ ulta


PAUL MITCHELL COLOR PROTECT LOCKING SPRAY
IMG_5709
Another one of my secret weapons. Since I'm always a little backward and color my hair dark in the summer and light in the winter, the sun always speeds up the fading process. To prolong the amount of time between getting my hair colored, I use this product every single time I step out into the sun. I have been using it for years and have even tried several other brand name products (Kiehls & Purology) and no one else even comes close to how well it works against the sun.
$10 @ ulta


If you have any questions please feel free to leave them below and I will help you as best as I can
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design